Friday, January 6, 2012

Week One: Post #1 (Introduction to Renaissance Art)


The first thing that comes to mind when I consider why Renaissance art is held in such high regard; is the almost unbelievable skill shown in the work we see representing this time period. I see a technical skill and control represented, that I do not as easily recognize in other periods of art. Most outstanding to me is the fact that they were created without modern tools like projectors or artificial light. It starts to really stress me out when I think about the skill level of the artist of the renaissance and how they were able to create these beautiful and amazing works without the use of our modern tools. Then again that is what is going to make this class so interesting. How did they get to this level?

There is an incredible sense of depth created in many of the works from this period. In my opinion a mix of many design elements lead to this sense of depth in these works. From the different perspectives used as well as the way color is manipulated to create foreground and background mood as well the modeling of figures and objects throughout the works.  I think people are definitely responding to technical skill portrayed in the paintings of the renaissance as previously stated.  When you see the work of Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and Raphael it is so easy to yourself this is art. These are the people on the cover of books. Search art on google and these are the artists you will see. The work is so technically well executed that it is easy for people to use renaissance art as a measuring stick for all other art.  With the thinking; this is as good as it gets. Based on the early time in history that they were created the size and scope of the work, location we can say these are the precedent for beautiful and ascetically pleasing art.

Again I must refer to the depth created in the works from this time period. Looking through the book this is the one thing that stands out to me throughout almost every piece chosen to represent the renaissance. Whether it be through sculpture or two dimensional work the sense of depth created in these works are what really stand out to me.  The eye naturally moves throughout the work comfortably and seamlessly in a way that it does not in previous time periods. This is created from the perspective as well as the color harmony used throughout the time period. The sculpture pieces in the book such as Michael Pacher’s St. Wolfgang alterpeice and Nanni di Banco The Four Crowned Martyrs are great examples for me of the way renaissance artist learned to control the eye and create great depth in sculpture as well.

I personally enjoy the work of the renaissance for all of the reasons I presupposed that our culture does earlier in my blog post. I am very excited to be studying this time period and look forward to finding out if the things I have suggested in this post are valid or not.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Welcome to ART 236! I look forward to reading your posts and working with you this quarter.

    You're right about the amazing technical skill of the artists of the Renaissance. I think you are also right about how Renaissance artists are even more highly valued today because they created such amazing works of art without the help of modern technology. I can't even imagine what it would have been like for Michelangelo to lie on his back for weeks, painting the Sistine Chapel on the top of scaffolding!

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete