Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Week Ten: Post #9





I think that my artwork which consists primarily of painting and drawing is influenced most heavily by pop art in particular. I think my artwork is influenced also by modernism particularly modern architecture. My artwork consists of appropriated images from popular culture throughout the sixties, seventies, and nineteen eighties. I focus primarily on bohemian surf culture and modernism. I think that if in the nineteen fifties artists were beginning to create work out of appropriated imagery because the world was so flooded with pictures. How much more appropriate is it then now to create work from recognizable images? We now have the ability to add so much meaning beyond just the figure on the canvas because of all the preconceived ideas that are attached to so many images of the past.
Indirectly I can also see how the work of Pablo Picaso  has influenced my work allowing a certain level of abstraction that without his influence would not have been accepted; particularly the painting Les Demoiselles d’ Avignon in its abstraction and multiple views. The way that an image can be suggested with gesture and seen from multiple perspectives on a two dimensional surface has influenced art in general allowing me to be able to mix two dimensional art with three dimensional representation. I also see that the work of Dada and Constructivism have influenced my work through the collage process creating one image out a compilation of images to charge the picture with meaning or even meaninglessness, also with the use of text in an image. This influence can be seen best in the work of John Heartfield in War and Corpses- Last Hope of the Rich and Hannah Hock, Cut with the Kitchen Knife Dada through the Last Weimar Beer Belly Cultural Epoch of Germany in their use of collage to charge meaning. Finally I can indirectly see the influence of surrealism in the work that I create, not so much in the interest in dreams but in the social and cultural values critiqued and explored through images that could not possibly exist on this world but are yet inspired by earthly objects and things.
Without these artist’s first creating their works of art I do not think that my art would appear the way it does today. I work heavily off of the influence of other artists to create my own work; I need inspiration in order to create. I love to look at other artists work to see how I can expand on what they have created in a different way. I would love to work towards creating images that are completely free of reference but right now being so heavily influenced by pop art and certain time periods I do not see that coming in the near future. I hope that my own work can continue to evolve though, as we have learned that it constantly does. I am thankful for the opportunity to learn more about these specific art movements and the ability to see how my art has been influenced. I hope to continue to expound on these influence now that I have a better understanding of where my inspiration lies.

3 comments:

  1. I see a ton of connection to Dada and pop art in your work. Your use of found and constructed images is intriguing. You mention you hope to grow and continue to change, which you will if you keep practicing and producing and the biggest way to improve is try new things be open to learning as much as you can and never tell yourself you can't do something. I learned a lot the first time I had to tackle cubism as a movement, I wanted to dismiss it entirely instead I decided to try and learn to like it, gotta admit I still don't like it but I gained an appreciation for it and I might go so far as to try and produce a cubist inspired piece in the future.
    Thank you for sharing your work it is fun to see what some of the group are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your use of text can even be extended back to Picasso, since the Cubists sometimes were interested in including bit of text in their pieces (which helped to emphasize the two-dimensionality of the painted surface).

    It's fun to see some of your art!

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found your work to parallel cubism in some ways as well as a modern day feel of pop art. I think the reason for this is your use of some blocky graphic shapes and text as well as the rich color found in your first piece. This is the one I am drawn to the most for its graphic illustration in the center. I like the cohesive feel of your work. It is easy to see that these were all done by the same artist. I also admire people with the ability to paint!

    ReplyDelete